Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Stand By The Window

I stand by the window on an August afternoon
Watching the rain drops fall into the puddle
And a drenched vagabond runs for shelter
After a hapless search for haven
I stand by the window holding a book
Picturing some word, some thought and a face
He is an abstraction I can never penetrate
And the tapping of the keyboard, ticking of the clock
The ring of a cell phone, kling klang beep cling
Break and halt and split the painted thoughts
And I shut the window and go to drink tea.

4 comments:

Minko said...

"Kling Klang Beep..." I loved it!Very well written, just amazing!

sayan said...

"FOR ME, THE BEGGAR'S PREDICAMENT IS EPITOMIZED BY HIS INABILITY NOT ONLY TO COLLECT ALMS, BUT ALSO BY HIS MISFORTUNE OF NOT BEING ABLE TO INSPIRE/ENTHUSE A FEELING OF EMPATHY IN THE GIRL BY THE WINDOW...AND THE FACT THAT SHE CAN'T MAKES HER RUN AWAY TO THE TEA, FASTER THAN THE BEGGAR"

this is my reading of the poem...

shuchisoman said...

i for one, happen to love your poetry.Maybe my interpretation of it is different from what ud like the reader to perceive....but then isnt this the case with all art? ur deductions according to your vantage point.
do come up with more gems,
regards,
Shuchita

Abin Chakraborty said...

hi!this one is certainly my favourite of the lot.perhaps since this is the most eliotesque.some of the techniques,such as "kling klang beep" or the successive "and"s are things that i use myself.the images are so vivid.keep posting more.
just one suggestion:harold bloom says that we all must choose our literary fathers and thus overcome the anxiety of influence.mine is decidedly eliot,as u rightly notice.may be u can choose one for urself as well.